Tuesday, November 9, 2010

BINARY OPPOSITES

Ivan was talking about structuralism in the last lecture. More specifically he focused on binary opposites.

YOU: "WTF are binary opposites? Sounds like computer math to me. Nobody likes math! I'm not reading this!"

ME: "No, it's more like how we define a lot of things by knowing their opposites."

YOU: "Sounds like philosophy. Nobody likes philosophy! I'm not reading this!"

ME: "No it's like good vs evil. Superman : Lex Luthor, X-Men : Brotherhood of evil mutants, that sort of stuff."

YOU: "Why didn't you say so in the first place?"


X-MEN















BROTHERHOOD OF EVIL MUTANTS




















So yeah, it is pretty straight forward. Or is it? Let us say something is good because it is not bad. That sounds quite extreme to me. As someone in class said: "What about the grey area?"

The straight forward way of thinking is the original structuralist view. It is more ideological?

The post-sturcturalism (yes it is both post and -ism) puts everything on a sliding scale with the opposites at the extremes (animation reference, or should is say intertextuality(oooo, I just can't stop intertexting(i like this word even if it is not real))), and a grey area in between. I am not going to do any more parenthesis do not worry. It is intentional to confuse you dear reader, so you do not notice my weak blogging skills.

So why write it if I can just google it and link an image. There you go:










And yes, Structuralism favors another -ism that starts with SEX. I hope google picks that one up and i get some random readers. Not that I really want them... No, I mean, I want YOU but not them. I like you! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment